---All Saints Sunday @ DAPC
Musically, we kicked the day off with “When the Saints Go Marching In” and moved to “For All the Saints”. The scripture lessons, from Hebrews 12 and Revelation 21 highlighted the cloud of witnesses that surround us and the community of saints we become in Jesus. WE gave thanks for the saints that have uplifted us, taught us, comforted us and shared their faith with us, naming those who once were present with us in worship, witness and ministry but who now join us in the Spirit.
We Explored the 23rd Psalm
· At first listening --- and adding our voices from memory – as lay leader Kathleen Vellenga read it at the beginning of service…
· Examining it with King David (Sannes) himself as the Dayton Players walked through the history of this favorite among favorite scripture lessons: from the words of David’s poetry, to the rabbinic teachings of our forbearers to the very common place it holds in our hearts at times of crisis and trouble ...
· Exploring the fifth verse …” You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies” as a description of the invitation extended in Communion … “ This is the Lord’s Table …” and its offer to dispel our real enemies to be replaced by the Beloved Community that welcomes us all!
We Prayed and Lighted Candles “Remembering our Saints” … “In the rising of the sun and its going down …WE REMEMBER THEM!”
We Gathered at the Table of Thanks giving for Communion
· To be anointed as Psalm 23 affirms … > (God the Shepherd) anoints my head with oil!”
· To remember our Baptism
· To become the New People of Jesus New Community, refreshed and renewed
· To receive the Body Broken and Cup poured out – in Jesus’ name and as Jesus’ people
---All Saint’s Sunday @ DAPC – we are the Saints of today, surrounded by the Saints of yesterday, serving the Saints of tomorrow! Amen!