Even though it felt like November had been here FOREVER already … Saturday was the first Saturday of the month, and that means --- CLOTHING CENTER --- and when the weather is so nice, that means lots of customers: this past weekend was no exception. Our Clothing Center volunteers were busy … and that means lots of folks went away with things they needed! Amen! Grace & Peace and Thanksgiving & Gratitude for our dedicated volunteers from DAPC, House of Hope and the community --- Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
It was also FALL CLEAN-UP DAY, because one of the little known wonders of the world if this: the trees that surround our church SHED MORE LEAVES THAN THEY CAN POSSIBLY BEAR!!!!! This is especially true on the east side of the church where the rain of brilliant (yes they are lovely) yellow leaves reaches rain-forest levels: thank you Saturday volunteers for raking, collecting, bagging and transporting bag after bag to the parking lot! And… Hallelujah… we are not responsible for the leaves in the park for the first time in the reach of memory! Thanks too for the secret crew … who came under the cover of night … to finish raking the parking lot! And Thanks – to Terry G. for transporting the many bags of leaves to the Compost site! Truly many hands make light work …. Amen!
Just an update from your Spiritual Nurture / Faith Formation Ministry Team who met Saturday morning --- for the first time with M.O.M. Miryana Moteva: yea! --- to look ahead at our church education worship.
Here’s the low-down:
· The next GATHER event is Coming: Giving Thanks!Saturday, November 21 … 1:00 to 3:00 pm
o Food! Fun! Crafts! Games! Bible Study!
o For all ages … come young’uns and old! … Come families – nuclear, intergenerational, custom-made!
· SN/FF will be supervising worship during the transition. The pastor has agreed to create a list of potential preachers and provide a worship boiler plate for Chuck in the office. If you have ideas for worship --- let a SN/FF’er know! Here’s what’s coming …
o November 22: Guest preacher Hae Chang filling in for David who will be on retreat … his last one! With the FQ2015 crew
o November 29 (Advent 1): the FQ2015 Celebration of Completion … in two Churches at the same time (or at least on the sameSunday)! Confirmation for DAPC’s participants (Amy, Jackson, Margaret-Ann, Romaney and Ysabella), baptisms for some, additional baptisms for several pre-FQ (FQ2025???) little ones … all of that right here at DAPC AND THEN WE GO TO NEW LIFE PRESBYTERIAN and celebrate all over again with their FQ’ers! You’ve heard of a Moveable Feast … this is worship on the run!
o December 6 (Advent 2) – Communions followed by PROPER TEA AND A POTLUCK OF YOUR FAVORITE FAMILY CHRISTMAS TREATS AND SPECIALTIES… YES!!! Christmas Cookies, lefse, fruitcake [??], tea breads, sweet-breads: IF YOU LIKE IT… SHARE IT! While eating will be a high priority, we will intersperse munching with music! Come ready to sing your favorite Christmas songs and carols!
o December 13 – nothing planned yet! May be you’d like to do something!
o December 20 – the Children’s Pageant! Featuring … original thespian presentations, live animals (not) and lively children (guaranteed!)
o December 24 – our traditional Christmas Eve Service – your favorite Christmas carols and songs, the Christmas story from Matthew & Luke, candles in the darkness, quiet and a rousing departure into the world … Jesus, Jesus – Oh what a wonderful Child!
o December 27 – NOT ONE BUT TWO WORSHIP SERVICES! No, you have not died and gone to heaven … but it will be heavenly!
§ IN THE MORNING – DAPC’S traditional Holiday Healing service, led by the Deacons
§ IN THE EVENING – Pastor David’s Pull Out the Stops, Blowout, Music (jazz) … Music (Gospel) … Music (blues)… Music (Christmas carols & UN-seasonal hymns) … Music (Jesus, Jesus; ComeSunday; We’ve Come This Far By Faith; O Come, O Come Emmanuel; I’ll fly Away) Farewell Worship Service! DAPC’s Choir, guest musicians, the DAPC players, a guest preacher (TBA) o--- everything I’ve ever dreamed of in worship (except for real fire – my one total failure as your pastor).
o January 3 – New Year Communion and prayers (NO POTLUCK!)
o January 10 – Epiphany: wise ones, stone soup, epiphany cupcakes with trinkets, the crowning of DAPC’s SOVEREIGN OF EPIPHANY!
o January 17: Martin Luther King Sundayfeaturing a message from Dr. King.
Sunday … November8
It was a regular service: no fireworks, baptisms, congregational meetings or extravagance.
· The music was great once again – thank you M.O.M. Moteva and choir – you were rocking!
· The Minute for mission … Reading Partners … clicked for many of us: helping kids learn to read well makes a lifelong difference in their lives! Sign me up! Actually, they did sign folks up to help out at Benjamin Mays elementary (right behind the church!)
· We had some wonderful visitors! Thanks for checking us out!
· WE shared some great joys and celebrations: engagements, good health, newly elected family members … etc., etc., etc.
· We prayed – from our printed list, from our hearts, with Deacon Oman who offered a powerful petition for our members, friends, family, nation and nations and the world we all call home! AMEN!